Saturday, January 2, 2010

Reflections on 2009

The beginning of a new year is a good time to look ahead while reflecting on the past. Last year was quite a year for me and I have been reminded of that as I think about 2010 and the year stretching out ahead. Here are some of the highlights from last year:

  • experiencing my niece's 1st birthday
  • selling my apartment during the credit crunch
  • leaving my job in Scotland
  • moving to the US
  • starting an MA in Biblical Counseling at Westminster Theological Seminary
  • getting engaged to B!!!
  • adjusting to life in North America
  • meeting my fiancee, B's, family
Just looking at that list makes me smile and realize what a crazy compression that is. Things took longer than I had planned and, at times, circumstances felt out of my control. They were out of my control and, yet, it makes me realize more and more my sheer dependence on God. A God who is faithful in everything - in the good times and the hard times. A God who provides and cares for us, who leads and protects.

And as I look back and think about all that 2010 holds I want to be faithful to God and, ultimately, to trust him more than I did last year. I'm aware that life won't always be this good. It often isn't. God has blessed me beyond measure but, at the same time, I know that we aren't guaranteed an easy passage through life. Circumstances can change in an instant. I want to be ready for those difficult times - as much as I can be.

From here on out, I want to be more intentional in my relationships - first and foremost with God. But also with the people I know and love - my fiancee, our families, the friends God has placed in our lives. And with people who struggle, who hurt, who feel like there is no hope. Over this year, I want to learn how to be there, to give hope and to show and share that love of Jesus
more and more to people who need him more than anything else.

4 comments:

  1. great to see you blogging again Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just found you!!! Need to bookmark you now to continue following the journey... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lost your newest blog about going deeper with God. Been thinking the same because of Paul's prayer for the church in Ephesus and my church in KK and me. Eph 3 about v 17.

    ReplyDelete